Saturday, March 17, 2012

Square Cat Writing Project - Freebie

So far this morning has been glorious!  A cup of tea, playful cats a good book.  I'm currently reading Pandemonum the sequel to Delrious.  I was loving it until I got to a part that I just can't deal with...I needed a break, I don't want any disappointment or sadness to creep into this perfect morning, so I'll blog instead!


A few weeks ago, Jill at Marvelous Multiagers posted a book on Goodreads (my favorite website).  She marked as to-read Square Cat.  Basically, in my classroom if there is a cat involved we're all over it.  So I checked the book out from the library, and LOVED it!  It's a great read aloud for being unique, being a good friend, accepting who you are, etc.
Basically it's a book about a cat who is square shaped and sad about it.  If the cat, Eula, falls down she can't get up, she can't wear the clothing styles it wants, etc.  She has some great friends that try to help, but in the end just wear boxes to make Eula feel included...it's super cute!

In my classroom we needed a new narrative writing prompt and it was born from this story.  Prompt: One day I woke up and I was a square.  Or for my few students who still prefer to write in Spanish: Un dia me desperte y tenia la forma de un cuadrado.  (I don't know how to do accents on blogger.)  Students has to think of two bad things that happened to them because they were a square and one good thing about being a square.  You can imagine the ending for 90% of my students - it was all a dream!  Either way they had a good time writing this, and they had to get creative.  

After that did a craftivity...we made ourselves with square heads, bodies, hands, legs, etc.  I'll be honest, I really don't think most of my class is gifted in the arts...my one artist was out sick, so I can't show off the one super amazing one...even mine was lame.

Still the kids had a good time making themselves as squares.  These are posted in our doorway, and look very cute!  I had forgotten to take my real camera so the picture quality isn't as good since the pics are taken with my camera phone, but you'll get the idea.  Take a look and if you would like to do this in your class head on over to my TpT store and get the 4-squares, patterns, final draft paper, etc., for free!  If you do, please leave feedback, it will make my day/week/blogging experience...  :)

 
 
 
Note, the peace silly band and attempt at high heels!  I swear this student oozes cuteness!
  This little boy really does have a bit of an Afro, hence his block of hair.  :)

So there you have our big writing project of the week.  

Time for some spring cleaning, it's a desperate situation...the cats are shedding out of control...cat hair tumbleweeds must be taken care of!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Laura
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I love this! I can't wait to get my hands on this book!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny thanks for stopping by! My kids loved this book, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
      Laura

      Delete
  2. I just found you through Classroom Freebies and I am loving your ideas! I'm a new follower!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Castro's Class,

    Thank you! Gracias!! I LOVE that you all became square just like me! Now you know exactly how I feel. Super Square, indeed.

    Remember... "Let a Square Cat be a Square Cat!"

    All best square wishes!

    Your friend,

    Eula Square Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for mentioning me.

    I was really just coming to say that I also MUCH prefer Ryan Gosling and it actually really bothers me when the Hey Girl Teacher person makes non-Ryan Gosling ones...... I truly don't really care one way or another for him in real life but he just fits the Hey Girls for me.

    I do love Jude Law though so I COULD make one exception for him. Unfortunately his message did not resonate with me.... haha.

    I am definitely going to have to check this book out for real now instead of just leaving it on my list... I feel like I have been absent from Goodreads because I have not been reading at ALL!!! I have been so overwhelmed lately..... hopefully that is coming to an end.

    I think this comment is long enough now, so, ta ta!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was way longer than I thought it was!!!

      Delete
    2. Long comments are more than welcome!!
      Jude Law is OK, but Ryan Gosling embodies the Hey Girl for me...I am with you on being overwhelmed lately, you still seem to manage to post on a near daily basis! Have a great week! Enjoy the weather with your kids!
      Laura

      Delete
  5. I just requested this book from the library. Thanks very much for sharing your ideas. I can't wait to try these out as part of our first week in 3rd grade.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete